A Mutual Exchange is a home swap with another tenant. You can apply to swap homes with any council or housing association tenant in the UK, providing you both have the right to exchange.
Howard Cottage residents can register their details for free with Homeswapper. Homeswapper hold a national register of tenants wanting to swap and will help you to find a match.
You can either home swap with one tenant, or you could try and find a three way exchange. There is no limit to how many people you can have in your home swap chain, however the more people in the chain, the more complicated it becomes and the more likely it is to fail as there are more people who could change their mind.
Tips on preparing to exchange:
- Make sure your home looks appealing and clean, and is clutter free.
- Once you’ve found someone you want to swap with, arrange to view each other’s properties. It is very important to complete a thorough viewing, as any alterations and non-standard items (such as flooring and tenant repairs) will become your responsibility.
- Take someone with you when you view for a second opinion and to help spot the condition of the property.
- If both parties are happy and decide you want to swap, you’ll both need to give each landlord a completed application form – download ours here.
- Check what type of tenancy your swap partner has and what you will be given – this can vary depending on the landlord.
- Clear any rent arrears. You will not be allowed to exchange if you owe rent, or charges or have other breaches of tenancy.
An administration charge of £250 is payable before exchange (£200 for properties with no gas supply). This charge covers the cost of essential gas and electrical safety checks.
A word of warning: you must not exchange properties with anyone unless you have written permission from both landlords. If you move without written permission from both landlords, you risk making you and your family homeless.
If you have any queries or need some additional help, our Resident Services Team will be happy to help you.